Dr Jonathan Kasstan, Teaching Fellow in Sociolinguistics (Queen Mary University of London)
HOME | PUBLICATIONS | CONFERENCE PAPERS | PROJECTS | BLOG | AFLS 2014
- Kasstan J. R. ‘New speakers as agents of sociolinguistic change: exploring evidence from obsolescent Francoprovençal’, University of Westminster (6th April 2016).
- Kasstan J. R. ‘The new speaker as agent of social and linguistic change: exploring evidence from obsolescent Francoprovençal’, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London (19th January 2016).
Peer-reviewed conference papers
- Karatsareas, P. and Kasstan J. R. ‘New historical perspectives on non-dominant speakers as agents of contact-induced language change’, workshop organised for International Conference on Historical Linguistics (ICHL) 23, University of Texas, San Antonio (31st July-4th August 2017).
- Kasstan J. R. ‘New speakers as agents of change: evidence from Francoprovençal’, Borderlands Linguistics Conference, University of Bristol (27th-28th June 2016).
- Kasstan J. R. and Auer, A. ‘Exploring attitude and prestige in the ‘heritage language’ context: a cross-linguistic perspective’, colloquium organised for Sociolinguistics Symposium 21, Universidad de Murcia (15th-18th June 2016).
- Sallabank, J. and Kasstan, J. R. ‘Deficit and new values in the linguistic market for small languages’, COST New Speakers Whole Action Conference, Universität Hamburg (12th-14th May 2016).
- Kasstan J. R. ‘New speakers as agents of social and linguistic change in Francoprovençal-speaking communities’, New Ways of Analyzing Variation (NWAV) 44, University of Toronto (22nd-25th October 2015).
- Kasstan J. R. ‘Convergence and divergence in Francoprovençal: new speaker networks as sources of linguistic innovation in obsolescent dialect communities’, panel on ‘Minority languages in Europe’, International Conference on Language Variation in Europe (ICLaVE) 8, Universität Leipzig (27th-29th May 2015).
- Kasstan J. R. and Woolhiser, C. ‘The native/non-native dichotomy and questions of language ownership: findings from studies on new speakers of Francoprovençal and Belarusian’, Sociolinguistics Symposium 20, University of Jyväskylä (15th-18th June 2014).
- Kasstan, J. R. ‘A social network approach to variation in obsolescent Francoprovençal’, UK Language Variation and Change 9, University of Sheffield (September 2013).
- Kasstan, J. R. ‘Towards a pan-regional orthography for obsolescent Francoprovençal’, Language Endangerment III: Language Policy and Planning, University of Cambridge (July 2013).
- Kasstan, J. R. ‘Standardisation through the back door? Neo-speakers and “distanciation strategies” in Francoprovençal’, Association for French Language Studies, Université de Perpignan (June 2013).
- Kasstan, J. R. ‘Towards reconciling a pan-regional identity for Francoprovençal speakers’, I-MEAN 3: Identity and Language Conference, University of the West of England (April 2013).
- Kasstan, J. R. ‘Emerging néo-speakers: implications for regional varieties and language shift’, Regional Varieties, Language shift and Linguistic Identities, University of Aston (September 2012).
- Kasstan, J. R. ‘The changing representation and denomination of France's regional varieties: a case study of Francoprovençal’, Association for French Language Studies, University of Newcastle (June 2012).
- Kasstan, J. R. ‘Francoprovençal: challenging traditional models of obsolescence’, 6en Obrador de Lingüistica Occitana, Université de Toulouse 2 (March 2012).
- Kasstan, J. R. ‘Geminate /l/ in British English: Deliberate control of articulatory gestures, or surface effect as a result of gestural overlap’, Graduate Linguistics Workshop, University of Cambridge (November 2009). [Paper]
Copyright © 2014-Present – Jonathan R. Kasstan